| Author |
Topic  |
|
|
dominik.mierzwa
Poland
154 Posts |
Posted - 07/20/2026 : 10:59:04 AM
|
Origin Ver. and Service Release (Select Help-->About Origin): 2026b Operating System: W11 Pro Hi, I'm wondering why the font size is different on the graph layer and in the editing window. Let's say I want the font size in the table on the graph to be exactly 12 pt. Where should I enter this, and how do I set the layer's scaling?


Kind regards, Dominik |
|
|
ChaoC
USA
249 Posts |
Posted - 07/20/2026 : 12:11:13 PM
|
Hello,
You can single-click on your table and a Mini toolbar should appear. You can select the Font size with the Mini toolbar or use the standard toolbar.
Here are some font scaling options: https://docs.originlab.com/quick-help/change-size-of-textlabels/
The editing window is more for contents, not formatting.
Best, Chao |
 |
|
|
dominik.mierzwa
Poland
154 Posts |
Posted - 09/11/2026 : 06:44:45 AM
|
This is really confusing because when I select the table in the font properties bar, the value is 9 pt. When I open the table for editing (double-click with the left mouse button), the font in the new window is already 12 pt. What’s worse, changing the value to 12 pt affects the font size scaling in the table on the chart, even though the toolbar still shows 9 pt. Another problem: why does resizing the table (using the handles) also change the font size? As a result, the tables do not look the same even though they have the same size, the same font size, and a layer scale factor set to 1. There is a slight difference in font size.
Kind regards, Dominik |
 |
|
|
ChaoC
USA
249 Posts |
Posted - 09/11/2026 : 09:32:37 AM
|
Hi Dominik,
I see the issue is that the table size is affected by how far you've zoomed in on the editing table which changes its size. That size is then updated on the graph table.
If you want the table font size to be 12 pts, you can set it with the Minitoolbar or Font properties toolbar. But don't use the table edit window for font size or zoom in on the table. If you've changed to zoom on the table, you can reset it with Ctrl+W
I have reported this to the developers in ORG-34283.
Best, Chao |
 |
|
|
dominik.mierzwa
Poland
154 Posts |
Posted - 09/11/2026 : 12:46:36 PM
|
Hi Chao, Okay, I think the problem is much more complex because different places control the table’s appearance. 1. I wasn’t aware that the table scaled based on the zoom level in the edit window, but this does indeed occur. As you wrote, pressing Ctrl+W and then clicking 'Update Table' is an effective workaround. 2. You can control the font size in the table from the toolbar or mini-toolbar, but you must not change the font size in the table editing window itself. It seems to me that, by default, the font size in the table editing window is 9 pt. If it is changed, the font size will be rescaled in the effective table on the graph. 3. COLUMN/ROW SIZE: You can adjust the width of columns and the height of rows in the editing window. After selecting a row, choose 'Row Height' from the context menu (right-click). When you select a column, the context menu does not offer a “Column Width” option, but you can make changes by going to “Properties”. In my opinion, it would be useful to be able to change the column width directly from the context menu, just as you can with row height. Window Zoom affects the effect as well - always work with native zoom value (ctrl+W). 4. TABLE SIZE: I'm not sure how to adjust the size of the entire table. Once I have set the width of the columns and the height of the rows, the size is fixed. Sometimes, however, I want to adjust the size of the table fast, so I resize it using the handles. The problem is that the font size also changes (see GIF). Is there a way to resize the table without changing the font size?

Kind regards, Dominik |
Edited by - dominik.mierzwa on 09/11/2026 12:55:51 PM |
 |
|
|
ChaoC
USA
249 Posts |
Posted - 09/11/2026 : 5:03:52 PM
|
Hi Dominik,
quote:
3. COLUMN/ROW SIZE: You can adjust the width of columns and the height of rows in the editing window. After selecting a row, choose 'Row Height' from the context menu (right-click). When you select a column, the context menu does not offer a “Column Width” option, but you can make changes by going to “Properties”. In my opinion, it would be useful to be able to change the column width directly from the context menu, just as you can with row height. Window Zoom affects the effect as well - always work with native zoom value (ctrl+W).
I have forwarded your "Column Width" request to the developers in ORG-34284. One workaround is to select a row and then from the context menu, select Column Width. This will bring up the dialog, and you can click the 'Hunt' button to select which columns to resize. Or just use the column Properties to change the column width. It takes the same number of clicks.
quote:
4. TABLE SIZE: I'm not sure how to adjust the size of the entire table. Once I have set the width of the columns and the height of the rows, the size is fixed. Sometimes, however, I want to adjust the size of the table fast, so I resize it using the handles. The problem is that the font size also changes (see GIF). Is there a way to resize the table without changing the font size?
It looks like this current behavior is partially based on your previous request here: https://my.originlab.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=48709 You said, "I would like to set this size to 10 pt, and Origin should adjust the size of the table area to the content in the table". So the table size and font size are linked. Decoupling the table and font sizes would have to be a separately supported case. But it seems "[automatically] adjust the size of the table area..." and "changing the font size without changing the table size (or vice versa)" are two conflicting behaviors. I have asked the developers to take a look at this.
Best, Chao |
 |
|
|
dominik.mierzwa
Poland
154 Posts |
Posted - 09/12/2026 : 03:53:57 AM
|
quote: Originally posted by ChaoC It looks like this current behavior is partially based on your previous request here: https://my.originlab.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=48709 You said, "I would like to set this size to 10 pt, and Origin should adjust the size of the table area to the content in the table". So the table size and font size are linked. Decoupling the table and font sizes would have to be a separately supported case. But it seems "[automatically] adjust the size of the table area..." and "changing the font size without changing the table size (or vice versa)" are two conflicting behaviors. I have asked the developers to take a look at this.
Hi Chao, Thank you for the explanation. Basically, if you change the dimensions of the image using the handles, Origin rescales the fonts to fit the new dimensions. Font sizes are connected to the dimensions of the table image (layer). The problem is that it's almost impossible to slightly change the dimensions of an image without also changing the font size. My idea is to set the point size to 10 pt and have the ability to change the table's dimensions in the graph without changing the font size. It would be useful to be able to control the size of the cells and the spaces between the text and the borders of the cells. Currently, I cannot find any settings for the cell margins (the space between the text and the border) or the text settings (interline spacing and text justification). Is it possible to change these settings?
Kind regards, Dominik |
 |
|
|
dominik.mierzwa
Poland
154 Posts |
Posted - 09/12/2026 : 06:47:57 AM
|
Hi Chao, I have the impression that we do not fully understand each other, so I will explain what I mean.
First, when creating a table, Origin adjusts the image size so that content with a redefined font size (e.g., 9 pt) is visible.
General assumption: By default, Origin adjusts the text size in the table to the image field in the chart so that all content is visible.
In my idea this behavior can be changed by:
Option A: Change the font size in the table using the toolbar or active (mini) toolbar after selecting the table image.
Option B: Change the status of the "Scale Text" option in the Table Settings.
If the "Scale text" option is enabled, Origin scales the text size according to the image size setting (e.g., when changing the size using the handles).
If the scaling option is disabled, the set font size must be preserved. If the user:
-Increases the size of the image, larger blank spaces are added to the cells and the border lines are shifted from the content (more space is created between content and the border lines)
-Reduces the size of the table, the free space between the text and the cell frame is first reduced. If all the free space is used up, Origin automatically turns on text scaling so the text in the table is visible at the new size.
In this case, the user will notice a change in font size and will be able to revert to the original size or accept the new one.
Kind regards, Dominik |
 |
|
|
ChaoC
USA
249 Posts |
Posted - 09/14/2026 : 10:09:06 AM
|
Hi Dominik,
quote: Currently, I cannot find any settings for the cell margins (the space between the text and the border) or the text settings (interline spacing and text justification). Is it possible to change these settings?
You can use the Format toolbar in the edit window to adjust the justification: https://docs.originlab.com/origin-help/format-toolbar/ The space between cell and border can be adjusted by adjusting the width and height of the cell which you can do with 'Row Height' and column Properties. Interline spacing is not supported.
I've forwarded your 'scale text' suggestion for consideration.
Essentially it sounds like you want the following:
- Increasing the font size via the toolbar or mini toolbar automatically enlarges the table if the font size exceeds the current table dimensions. If the table already has enough space, the table size remains unchanged.
- Decreasing the font size via the toolbar or mini toolbar does not change the table size.
- Manually enlarging the table using its handles does not change the font size.
- Manually shrinking the table using its handles keeps the font size the same unless the table becomes too small for the text, in which case the font automatically scales down to fit.
Best, Chao
|
 |
|
| |
Topic  |
|
|
|