The Origin Forum
File Exchange
Try Origin for Free
The Origin Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Send File to Tech support
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password? | Admin Options

All Forums
 Origin Forum
 Origin Forum
 Regular XYZ conversion
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic

lupucelrau

France
Posted - 08/28/2008 :  09:45:27 AM  Show Profile  Edit Topic  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Topic
Hello,

I am trying to convert a 3-column worksheet to a matrix using the "Regular XYZ". I used this a lot and I really made sure that the data has the proper format. Nevertheless I get the error message "x,y data not matched - try random XYZ conversion". I really do not havy any clue as to why that does not work.
Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanky you!

greg

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2008 :  2:39:26 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Regular data requires that the X Steps are all equal and that the Y steps are all equal and that you have a complete set of X an Y.
If you plot your Y column as scatter, you should see an overhead view of an orchard ( apples, not grapes, so plot in red for the full effect ) There may be missing values or the steps may not be quite even.

Origin 8 shows you this plot preview in the new gridding dialog and shows plots of the X and Y steps as well as a preview of the resulting matrix plus it has a tolerance setting ( in case whoever planted the orchard had imbibed too much of the grape )

Go to Top of Page

lupucelrau

France
Posted - 08/28/2008 :  4:56:54 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Thanks Greg,
I really made sure that the data structure is OK. I used before this operation in Origin, so I knew the drill. The only thing that is different now is that I have a very large dataset now (62500 XYZ triplets).
Go to Top of Page

greg

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2008 :  5:17:20 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
The number of points should not be a problem. Assuming your XY data is in column 1 and column two, this script :

wo -a 1;
wcol(wks.ncols) = sort(col(1));
wcol(wks.ncols) = diff(wcol(wks.ncols));
wcol(wks.ncols) = sort(wcol(wks.ncols));
wo -a 1;
wcol(wks.ncols) = sort(col(2));
wcol(wks.ncols) = diff(wcol(wks.ncols));
wcol(wks.ncols) = sort(wcol(wks.ncols));

should produce two new columns that have mostly zero with a number of constant values and one leftover value (from diff() function).
The number of constant values plus 1 should be the number of columns or rows in the regular matrix. Any deviation from a constant indicates irregularity.

If you still see a problem, send your OPJ to tech@originlab.com.
Go to Top of Page

lupucelrau

France
Posted - 08/29/2008 :  05:56:17 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
I tried what you told me, and I get the result you describe. I will send my data to the tech support as you suggest. I will let you know.
Thanks again!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Origin Forum © 2020 Originlab Corporation Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000