The Origin Forum
File Exchange
Try Origin for Free
The Origin Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Send File to Tech support
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password? | Admin Options

All Forums
 Origin Forum
 Origin Forum
 SpeedMode for Worksheet calculation
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic

Eberhard2010

8 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2009 :  2:50:45 PM  Show Profile  Edit Topic  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Topic
Origin Ver. and Service Release (Select Help-->About Origin): 8ProSr0
Operating System:WinXP

I have auto-calculating columns in my worksheet. They update everything the linked column changed. Thats fine. But It takes too long. Excel plug in is much faster:-(

I have 100 columns which are linked to one column;
each column is linked one element (2nd column linked to col(1)[1] & 3rd column to col(1)[2] and so on...) So all columns will update if I change only one cell. That's not nice.

Is there a speed mode or an option to determine when the columns are updated (besides auto option)?

Regards Eberhard

cpyang

USA
1406 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2009 :  3:42:26 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
If all your columns linked to column one, then maybe you should use col(2) to update all the others. You can use the Before Forumla Script in col(2) and write code like this

for(int ii = 2; ii<=100;ii++)
{
  double vv = col(1)[ii-1];
  wcol(ii) = col(1);
  wcol(ii) /= vv;
}

Go to Top of Page

Eberhard2010

8 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2009 :  7:39:55 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Thanks for your reply cpyang,

I also considered writing a simple script like that. I don't know exactly whats up with this "before formula Script" - does it mean that the script will be executed before an auto update will take place? I admit that a script will be much faster than auto-calculating. But this does not solve the problem of recalculating all the data when only one cell is changed.

I use col(1) as Parameters which I want to change manually for perfect optical match to the corresponding graph. col(1) is more simple to edit than the header of each column. There are many try and errors & recalculating all the way is not helpful here.

Regards Eberhard
Go to Top of Page

Deanna

China
Posted - 07/05/2009 :  11:36:53 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi,

The Before Formula Scripts panel is a place where "You can enter multiple lines of LabTalk script in this panel and the script will be executed prior to computing the formula specified in the column formula box. " Please read the following for more informaiton:
http://www.originlab.com/www/helponline/Origin8/en/category/using_formulae_to_set_or_transform_worksheet_column_values.htm#Before_Formula_Scripts

If you do not wish to trigger the auto update every time change is made to column 1, you will have to consider setting the Recalculate Mode to Manual. With this recalculate mode, the updating will be performed only when you manually choose to do so. Please read more on the recalculate modes here:
http://www.originlab.com/www/helponline/Origin8/en/common_analysis_features/recalculating_analysis_results.htm

p.s. CP's method works much better, in terms of speed, than setting the formulas in all worksheet columns.

Deanna
OriginLab Technical Services

Edited by - Deanna on 07/05/2009 11:46:08 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Origin Forum © 2020 Originlab Corporation Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000